Thursday, March 5, 2015

Help me Run NYC for Benjamin

Wellllllllllllll..................a LOT has happened since I blogged last.

Here's a quick run down:

I stayed off Facebook for about six weeks. It was nice. In the meantime, Matthew & I went on our first cruise. It was tons of fun. But then I got the flu and an ear infection ON the cruise. That wasn't so fun.

Then the winter turned to spring and I went back to Boston with Matthew so he could run the 2014 Boston Marathon. We were up there with many amazing running friends. While at the race expo, I signed up for my very first marathon. EEEEEEK!!!!!

In the summer, I went on another cruise. With the New Kids on the Block. Made a couple of friends for life. Yep. For real. It was AMAZING.

Then I started training for my marathon in August. I fought two injuries (and two 30-days rounds of physical therapy) during my training. It was hard. It was grueling. There were tears and one giant meltdown.

But I ran the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon on January 11, 2015, and ROCKED IT. I had the TIME OF MY LIFE. I'm still teary-eyed when I think about it.






Which leads me to my return to this blog.

I entered the lottery for the NYC Marathon lottery in 2014 and 2015 b/c it is an AMAZING experience. It's my bucket list race.
I was not drawn in the lottery, and I was okay with that. But when several people suggested that I run with a charity, I started looking into it. And I was *this* close to signing up with the official charity when Matthew called me and told me that he found it.
My charity.


Our charity.

A charity for Benjamin. And all the Benjamins.


It's called Research Down Syndrome.

The mission of Research Down Syndrome is to fund and support scientific research directed towards the development of safe and effective drug therapies that will improve memory, learning and communication in persons with Down syndrome and address the increased likelihood for Alzheimer's disease.




Within a matter of hours, I was ON THE TEAM. An official entrant into the 2015 NYC Marathon, which I will run proudly as my second marathon on November 1.

I made my fundraising link live last night, and my WONDERFUL friends have already given about 13% of my $2500 goal.

I am honored and floored.

Here is the link, in case you would like to donate or just share it with others.

Look. I know that I am not always the biggest advocate for Down syndrome. I am often mad at the chromosomal abnormality that crushed my dreams and greatly affects my life. It's hard to see the silver lining sometimes when I am dealing with a non-verbal seven-year-old in diapers.

But then he comes up to me and plays with my hair. And calls me "Memmy." And smiles. Or learns something for the first time.

And I know that he is my heart. And whatever plans I had in life don't matter. That he is my heart. And that is why I want him with me as long as possible.

Please...help me run NYC for Benjamin.

Click HERE to check it out! Even $5 or $10 can help me reach my $2500 goal!



No comments: