Monday, January 20, 2014

I Broke Up With Facebook



I did it. I broke up with Facebook. It was as easy as clicking a button. Or three. 

It had been on my mind for awhile, and I finally just did it. I am not sure how long I will stay gone. I am not sure how long I want to stay gone.

I was just tired of the constant pull. To check my notifications. To reply to others' comments/questions. To check up on my 1200 "friends."

And then there was the internal pressure. To be funny. To be real. To be all things to all people. I had to reevaluate why I was posting things. Why did I need/want all these people to approve of my life? Should I post a picture of the beer I ordered? What if someone is offended? If I put on there that I'm going on (yet another) vacation, will a few people say, "Vacation? Again? Are you ever home?"

I've been gone for a week. About 15 people have reached out to me to ask me where I went. (I'm still on Instagram & Twitter.) When I explain why I've taken a break, the overwhelming response is: "Oh, yeah, I've thought of doing that, too." One friend did the very same thing a day or two after I did.

It's like I lost 20 pounds. Pressure is off. I don't feel the need to be the "Angela" I think everyone expects me to be. I can just be there for my husband and my kids.

It's simple. And nice.

(But I do want to say that I do plan to rejoin FB again. Maybe soon. Maybe not. I don't want people to think I'm a hypocrite once I do rejoin. FB is not evil; it's not bad. I just needed a break.)

14 comments:

JILL said...

I am always surprised at how easy it is to be gone for a couple weeks whenever I go home to my Mom's. Her computer is upstairs, so we just don't use it often.

Keep us updated on the blog, OK? But, I don't need to see pictures of your beer. ;-) I do love your vacation stories, though.

Todd and Courtney said...

I so understand. I got rid of twitter and don't use instagram even though I have an account. Don't you love the "you're going on vacation again??" comments. Jealousy is an evil evil thing.

Anonymous said...

Was looking for your page to see how you all were..and found it not there...so I came to your blog and saw that your left FB...I have thought about breaking it...but haven't yet. Love reading about your vacations, the boys and all that you all are up to. Hope you continue to blog and keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela - I remember you from BZ (long time ago!). I should do the same for the exact reasons you listed. If I wasn't so isolated, I would do it right now, but there would be immediate consequences. Only reason I got FB is to connect with friends & family back home while I'm living overseas.

Shauna (aka murgatr on BZ)

dd 11/22/98
dd 06/27/02

Unknown said...

I miss your funny anecdotes, but I totally get it! Have a good break. :)

Unknown said...

I miss your funny anecdotes but totally understand. Have a fun break!

Kristin said...

I wondered where you went! Miss your funny posts, but I get it. I really do.

Unknown said...

I was sitting here with all this crazy weather bored and checking my Facebook, and I said, someone I LOVE on Facebook is very quiet during all this snow!!! I miss you and totally respect your decision. You are welcome back any time! Missing you!

Anonymous said...

I miss your funny stories. Hope you're back soon! Enjoy the break.

Suzanne said...

Miss you....I really enjoying Myrtle Beach and living it vicariously through your trips ;)
I can't wait to go back...and hopefully will see you back on FB some day. (I am on twitter/instagram but use it sparingly).

Suzanne said...

Miss you....I really enjoying Myrtle Beach and living it vicariously through your trips ;)
I can't wait to go back...and hopefully will see you back on FB some day. (I am on twitter/instagram but use it sparingly).

Verna said...

I love keeping up with you. Wherever it might be! Lover eading about your boys and your life!

Anonymous said...

Still gone, still love it- I do feel that freedom but now it coupled with the realization of a couple of things: first, I like that no one except who I personally tell or text knows what's going on in my life, and second I'm no longer worries about someone finding me (hear clients) or seeing my life unfold (aka unravel). While I miss some things I enjoy my "freedom". I may be back and I may not buy thanks for opening up that can of worms in January. I'm eternally grateful. ❤❤❤

Sarah said...

I broke up with facebook 6 months ago and haven't regretted it! Enjoy the freedom!