Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's raining, it's pouring...

I know.

I'm a terrible blogger.

Let me sum up.

Disney was nothing short of amazing. My first race (the 5K) was *so* fun, and I loved doing it. Considering doing the half marathon next January.

Things here are hairy.

Not literally, but you know what I mean.

Thomas has a double ear infection, though you'd never know it to see him. He truly is The Perfect Baby.

Benjamin is another story. He is more miserably sick than I have ever ever seen him. Even after his heart surgery.

He tested positive for strep throat yesterday and got a big ol' shot in his booty. Was supposed to start feeling better soon.

He didn't. In fact, he seemed worse. So after a four-hour nap, I took him back to the doctor. They did a CBC (complete blood count) and saw that his WBCs were high (25 or 26, when normal is 5-15). Thankfully all the other blood thingies (pardon my ignorance, the only one I can remember is platelets) were normal, so they don't fear leukemia at this point. But we were sent next door to get a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia.

After he got another shot (rocephin this time) in his booty. Other cheek, though.

It was already 5:30 p.m.

The plan was to get a chest x-ray, have them send it over to the doctor's office, and I would return tomorrow w B at 4:00 for another check. (The rocephin shot is a 24-hr shot.)

But after the techs did the x-ray they didn't tell me to go home.

I sat there.

And sat there.

Holding an achy, fussy, warm, needy boy.

I thought we would be spending the night at Children's.

They sent me back over to the doctor's office, where there was still one doctor. We looked at the film together.

Wow. A huge pneumonia covering almost his entire lower right-hand lung. He's had pneumonia two or three times in the past but never this bad. It's never affected how he's felt, honestly. And it was always aspiration pneumonia, so I could hear it in his lungs. I could hear raspy and rattly breath, and there was coughing. This time his breath sounds completely clear and he only coughed a few times, and he didn't start that until this afternoon.

They almost sent us to the hospital for the night.

But after a pulse ox check (96 to 97), and checking him for dehydration (so far so good on keeping him hydrated), I was able to take him home tonight. He is supposed to sleep elevated (he's on pillows right now in the pack-n-play in our closet) and I'm taking him back to the doctor's office first thing in the morning.

So, yeah.

Being a mom is hard.

Being the mom of a child with special needs and a compromised immune system is doubly, triply rough.

But God is good.

He is giving us strength and grace and great doctors and nurses to help us.

Thankfully Matthew is able to do some work from home tomorrow so he can watch TPB (The Perfect Baby) and Andrew while I take B back to the doctor.

Gotta go get some sleep.

No comments: