Thursday, October 2, 2008

We've been delayed until tomorrow.

Well, we got here as scheduled and everything was going great. All three of us had our armbands on and were waiting in the holding room. We were just waiting to meet with the anesthesiologist before they took him away for surgery.

So we waited.

And waited.

And other kids (getting other surgeries) were moving in and out of the holding room.

Then we finally heard word that we're going to be delayed. (At least I was able to nurse Benjamin!!! He wasn't horribly fussy but was gnawing on his arm like a chicken bone.) At first we thought it might be later today, but we just found out that at the earliest, it would be late tonight, so they decided to just do it first thing in the morning. The schedule will be exactly the same as it was supposed to be tomorrow.

The reason for the delay is that a baby was born last night who has serious congenital heart defects. It is much more of an emergency than Benjamin's heart defects, and so the surgeon is going to have to operate on that baby.

On lodging news, praise God! We got a room at the Ronald McDonald House. Which is excellent news b/c our hotel is booked for the next few nights b/c of the Vanderbilt football game or some such silliness. We were supposed to be admitted to the hospital today and b/c we weren't, we really had no place to stay. But one of the 32 rooms at the RMH has now been vacated and will be ours until Benjamin is out of the PICU and is moved onto the floor, which may be on Sunday.

We can't check into the RMH until 3 p.m. Now we're back at the hotel (which, thankfully, we hadn't checked out of yet) and Benjamin is taking a nap. Matthew went off for a run, and I think I am going to try and take a nap. We got late checkout here at 12:30, so we'll only have 2 1/2 hours to kill until we can go get our room at the RMH.

Please pray for the little baby who is being operated on right now. Pray for the family, too. It sounded like a pretty dire situation. It truly does not bother us that we were bumped. I certainly would want the surgeon to be available if that were my newborn baby.

I'll post some pictures later of what we *thought* were going to be our pre-surgery shots. Please don't notice that in tomorrow's pictures, I'll be wearing the same clothes. I've changed by now so I could save my specifically-picked-out-comfy-but-not-dumpy-to-wait-for-hours-in-the-waiting-room clothes for tomorrow.

(Gotta go change a typo on yesterday's post. Thanks, Philip, for telling me. HAAAA!!! You know I would want to know! That drives me nuts!)

7 comments:

Amber said...

One more day to play... nothing wrong with that, right!?
Glad to hear you got into RMH, and thanks for the update (for those of us who are obsessing today)!!
Will pray for the tiny one...

Sara said...

Aww, man. Honestly, I was getting worried when we hadn't heard an update, so this is good news. :) Have a fun day getting settled in the RMDH and go out to dinner tonight!

Sara

lots_of_love_four_kids said...

Glad for the update. Praying for all of you and the new baby being operated on this morning. Hope to hear more later! - and YEA! on the RMH! Praise God! take care!

Amanda-The Family News! said...

I found your blog thru Annabelle Lynn. I will be praying for your family and your son. One of my nephews had open heart surgery as a baby. He is now 11 years old!
I am glad you got a room at the RMH. My sister stayed too when her son had his surgery...
I will check back!
Prayers..
Amanda in SC

datri said...

Sounds like things are working out in spite of the delay. Praying for a successful surgery.

Lillie's Mommy said...

You have the most amazing outlook on things. Take Benjamin to do something fun today while you wait on tomorrow. I'm glad you got a room in the RMH. I know you're glad to have one less thing to worry about.

Christia said...

Wow! I'm so glad that Heavenly Father has provided a room for you @ the RMH :) I'm praying for you and Benjamin and that tiny newborn. Hugs.