Friday, October 3, 2008

Out of surgery!

We still haven't seen him yet, but he's out of surgery and has been moved to the ICU. We spoke with the surgeon at about 1:20 CST and she gave us a rundown of how the surgery went.

As far as the heart, everything went great. There were no complications and it was textbook. While they were in there, they opened up the lungs to be sure there was no fluid build-up. In Benjamin's lower right lung, he has a build up of his own lung tissue. I cannot remember the technical name for it but will find out later. It poses no immediate threat but could cause complications later and cause him to get pneumonia, which would be very hard on him. (Especially because people with Down syndrome have especially small nasal and ear passages, making it easy for infections to get trapped.)

The surgeon said that if it had been a small spot on the corner of the lung, they could have just snipped it off. But the location of it would have caused him to lose 1/3 of his right lung, so that was not an option. Also, heart surgery is considered a "clean surgery" and lung surgery is a "contaminated surgery," so they could not be combined.

Basically we don't know what this means except that we just have to be aware of this condition in case something comes up later. They may do more chest x-rays to get a baseline for how big it is (to monitor its growth). In the future, if he gets pneumonia quite a bit, they may have to operate to remove the tissue. The balloon or bubble (can't quite recall how she described it) is sizable but may not cause any further problems.

We're waiting to see him and should be able to see him soon!!! I can't wait.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Oh thank the Lord, he's out and in recovery!!! I can't wait to hear how the reunion with mom and dad goes.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear his surgery went well and he is now in recovery. I know you cannot wait to be with him. I am in tears I am so happy for you!!!!!

Amber said...

YAY!! And now I won't be at the edge of my seat waiting...because you need to just take your time when you see your little guy again :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela, thanks for providing a way for us to communicate with you. I am delighted to hear how of the surgery's success. I will continue praying for you guys. Your blog is touching. You guys show the sufficiency of Christ. What a testimony!

Love,
Kelley Daugherty

Stephanie said...

So grateful he is out and in good hands!!! Praise the Lord!!
I am so thankful for these skillful doctors and nurses.
He needs YOU more than any of them though! I cannot wait until he is back in your arms where he belongs.

We love you guys so much. Now, get back to Chattanooga asap where YOU belong!!!!!!

Christia said...

Oh my gosh, I'm SO happy that he's in recovery. HUGS. Give him a gentle squeeze from me and the boys.

Anonymous said...

Yay for Benjamin!! I know you can't wait to see him. Give him a couple extra hugs from us tonight.

Susan Massoud Farley said...

Oh what great news!! I know you are anxious to see him and hold him. Your posts today have been wonderfully informative and so touching.
Suse :)

heidi marie said...

what wonderful news!!! i'm so glad that everything went well and they he is safely recovering. try to take care of yourself as well over the next few days!