Friday, May 4, 2012

What I'm Reading

Once upon a time I used to read.

Then I had kids.

But THEN I got a DVR, a laptop with wireless internet, and an iPhone.

I get up three mornings a week and run, and the other four mornings, I am up relatively early with my kids.

But I do love a good book.

Or two.

Or four.

These days I like books in all kinds of different genres. Lately I like memoirs and adolescent literature.

And Grisham.

Always Grisham.

Currently, I'm listening to The Litigators on audiobook while I clean, run, and water my rose bushes.

And at night before bed, I read a few pages each out of these books:




I would assume everyone knows who Elmo, and they can hear his voice in their heads. But did you know that this is the man behind that voice?


And this book is his story. It's inspiring and refreshing. A friend of mine just told me that there is a documentary about him on Netflix; I'll be checking that out soon!

The second book is Divergent by Veronica Roth. I read and loved the Hunger Games trilogy. I've read Matched and have its sequel, Crossed, on its way to me from my local library. Divergent is another adolescent, dystopian novel that is quick to read (for most) and intriguing. So far I am really enjoying it!

The third is The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A. J. Jacobs. The title is literally what he did. For my religious peeps, this is not a book written from a Christian perspective. Jacobs is a self-pronounced athiest (or agnostic; I can't recall which), and though I'm not finished with the book, I'm almost certain he did not convert to Christianity at the end of his quest. But the journey is humorous and very interesting. I read his first book, The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Strongest Person in the World. In this book, Jacobs chronicles the daunting task he conquered: reading through the entire Encyclopaedia Brittanica. And I look forward to reading his newest book, Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection.

What have you been reading lately?

No comments: