Wednesday, March 7, 2012

30-Day Bloggity Blogness: Day 7

Day 7: Favorite movie

For years, my favorite movie was Sleepless in Seattle.

But it has since been replaced with a similar movie, You've Got Mail.


I know, I know.

It's cheesy. It's predictable. It never won any awards.

But it is just so wonderful.

And it's oh-so quotable.

Any true fan of the movie will recognize these gems:

"Thank your."

"Happy Thanksgiving back."

"WHERE ARE MY TIC TACS? UNNHHHHH......"

"I...can't help myself."

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."

"She had to be! SHE...HAD...TO...BE!!!!"

"It's not personal; it's business."

"I tried to have cybersex once, but I kept getting a busy signal."

"I am a lone reed."

"Never marry a man who lies."

"F-O-X."

"That's why it's worth so much."

"One hundred fifty-two insights into my soullll."

"Don't cry, Shopgirl."

---------------------------------------------

In fact, Matthew and I love this movie so much that on our last trip to NYC (April 2005), we did a self-guided tour. Here were the highlights:

A NYC Brownstone
This is similar to the one used for the front
of Kathleen Kelly's plush apartment.


Cafe Lalo
This is where Kathleen and Joe (as Shopgirl and NYC152) arranged
to meet. Joe showed up with his friend, but then realized that Shopgirl
is Kathleen, so he went in and was a real jerk. 


Gray's Papaya
This is where Kathleen & Joe eat hotdogs
on one of their many social meet-ups.


Ocean Grill
Kathleen & Joe eat on the patio here, discussing
who "NY152" might be.


The 91st Street Garden
Joe and Kathleen stood right in front of this green sign
(you can see it in the movie) and kissed for the first
time. ("Don't cry, Shopgirl.")


Picture Joe and Brinkley walking up on the sidewalk,
from the right side. This is at the very end of the movie,
when Kathleen realizes that Joe is NY152.
(Sadly, we were there in early April, and it was not
nearly as beautiful as it was in the movie!)


This is the storefront of a cheese & antiques shop. It was
used for the front of the Shop Around the Corner. (The
inside was all a set.)


Do you remember in the movie, when Kathleen walks
on one side of this sidewalk, and Joe walks on the other?
Here I am on one side.


And here's Matthew on the other side. (Of course, logistically, they
worked in totally different places of the city and wouldn't
have been walking to work near the same place,
but we'll overlook that.) :)


Sitting on a bench near the above shots.
"I hope your mango's ripe."


Zabar's
"Happy Thanksgiving back."


Well, there you go! Anyone else love this movie?

2 comments:

Todd and Courtney said...

I love eating Gray's anytime we're in the city. Their juice is so yummy :) I LOVE that movie too.

Stacy said...

Oh. My. Word. I am so jealous you got to visit all those lovely locations from the movie! It is easily in my Top 3. It holds a special place in my heart, because I met my hubby online. "F-O-X!"