Friday, March 2, 2012

30-Day Bloggity Blogness: Day 2

Day 2: Meaning behind your blog name

It's pretty self-explanatory. It used to be called "The Amicks," which, I realize, is extremely creative.
Then I changed it to "My Three Sons" after Thomas was born.

Here's a little bit more about each of my sons.


Andrew James Amick was born @ 5:27 p.m. on March 24, 2006. He was five days over his due date. He was 8lbs, 11 oz, 21 in. long.

He wasn't the best baby b/c he was very very fussy about breastfeeding. He has continued to be a picky eater, even at almost six years old.

He is a very smart child; he knew all his ABCs at 21 months and could read well at age four. He likes Kipper the Dog, and often speaks with a British accent. He's not that good at sports, but he loves all things "scary," like pirates or Halloween.


He is doing well in kindergarten, though he sometimes gets in trouble for not paying attention. He is goofy and funny, and he keeps us laughing.


One of the things Matthew and I worry about with Andrew is that he's not the most compassionate person. He isn't mean-spirited, but he's not very loving. He is not one of those sweet older brothers who is sweet and helpful with his siblings; he's more like an only child with two brothers. But he has started to come around some, so we encourage it as much as we can.


Benjamin Matthew Amick was born @ 7:28 a.m. on April 24, 2008. He was born via repeat C-section seven days before his due date. He was 8lbs, 6 oz, and was 20.5 in. long.

This picture, to me, is the epitome of bittersweet. This picture was taken about an hour after he was born. It was also taken a few minutes before my dear OB came in the room and changed my life forever.

Most of you know that Benjamin has Down syndrome. He had open-heart surgery at five months, intestinal surgery at nine months, and has had many out-patient surgeries and procedures. He has a compromised immune system, including his lungs and his intestines.

He is almost four years old but is very much still like a toddler. A non-verbal toddler. I love him with my entire being, but I am still not okay with the Down syndrome. It is hard. It is heartbreaking. It is unfair.

But I know that God is good, and that He does things for a reason, even if we don't always understand them. I trust in His goodness and His wisdom.

He goes to special-ed preschool four mornings a week, and does well at school.


He likes playing with Matchbox cars, plastic rings, and enjoys chucking toys across the room. He often gets frustrated and screams, and we many times have no idea what's wrong with him. He is still in 24m, 2T, and 3T clothing, sleeps in a crib, and will be in diapers for years.

He loves to play with my hair, and loves to watch Elmo and Barney. He loves to be tickled. If you sit down on the floor, he will throw himself into your arms, even if you're not looking. You have been warned. :)


Thomas Alexander Amick was born @ 6:29 a.m. on March 25, 2010. He was born via repeat C-section nine days before his due date. He weighed 9lbs, 7oz, and was 21 in. long. (I birthed a toddler!!)

THOMAS WAS THE PERFECT BABY. In fact, I nicknamed him "TPB." This nickname was true until he turned 13 months old, when he started coming into his personality. He is now a stinker. He has a lot of drug allergies, and already has two sets of tubes due to constant ear infections that could not be healed by antibiotics.

He is not nearly as verbal as Andrew was at this age, but his receptive language blows Benjamin's AWAY. He is my only blonde child. He loves Mickey "DEE!" and Elmo "OHHH!" and Ernie "ERRR!!!" He has a strong personality, and I can tell that we will most likely be turning the girls away at our door, and that we will be visiting the principal's office for him.


I just love, love, love my boys. Part of me is sad not to have a girl, but I love being a boy mom. I cringe at all the drama my friends with girls have to go through, and I am so glad! ;)

1 comment:

jenn said...

Your boys are getting so big! I followed your blog for a long time and I took a huge blogging and computer) break for a long time. Probably the last time I read your blog was when TPB was just a baby! Look how cute he is!! Isn't wild to see how different each of the kids are! My oldest son is sorta like your Andrew...you would think he was an only child, cause he sure acts like it! But, I attribute that to he was the only one for 4 1/2 years!

you have a great family! :-)