Friday, February 18, 2011

How can you say no to this face?

In one week, I will be running my second 5K.

But this time, there will be no Cinderella's Castle.

There will be no Mickey Mouse.

This race is for a cause.

I am running for our local Special Olympics.

The Special Olympics used to make me uncomfortable. And I won't lie--they still do a little bit. But that's how anything is when you're unfamiliar with it. But I cannot hide my head in the sand any longer, nor do I wish to.

The kids who participate in the Special Olympics are real kids.

Real kids with real parents who love them.

Real kids who never asked to have special needs with real parents who never asked for their kids to have special needs.

Real parents who have had to accept and embrace a new reality because life doesn't always turn out the way they planned.

And usually, the life we're given is far richer than the one we thought we wanted anyway.

Even amidst all the worry, all the poop, and all the dang doctor's visits (15 in four weeks if anyone's counting).

So, if you're so inclined, click on this link to make a donation.

NO amount is too small. Even $5 helps and means a lot to me, to Benjamin, and the local children who participate in the Special Olympics.

Benjamin is too young to participate, but if he did, I can imagine he'd be in such events as

Coloring


Construction


Sock Removing


Couch Dancing (w Frank)


And just being dang cute
("Who, me??")


So please consider a donation if at all possible. Benjamin might be super sad if you don't.


Or he might get upset.


And, really, is that worth it?

Thank you SO much to all of you who have already donated, and even to those of you who would like to but can't right now.

Thank you for loving me and my sweet Benjamin. I love how much he has not only changed my life, but so many others' lives as well.

1 comment:

tarynddavidson said...

Hi! My name is Taryn Davidson - my sister-in-law was your nurse, Valerie. She told me about your sweet boys so I just had to check them out for myself! :)
I think little Benjamin is an absolute doll!
I love that you are doing the Special Olympics 5k.
Hope your littles are feeling better!