Monday, February 22, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Hilarious

Andrew is still sick, but his strep test has been negative twice. Yesterday he seemed so sick and fussy that he actually took a FOUR-HOUR NAP from 2:00 until 6:00 and then proceeded to go to sleep at about 9:15. Then he slept until 8:45 this morning. I do believe that's the latest he's ever slept in his life.

Today, he is still coughing but has no fever, and his fussiness seems to have subsided for the most part. So hopefully it was indeed a virus and is on its way out.

Benjamin finished up his second round of antibiotics for his first ear infection yesterday, and seems to be in great spirits. He went for a swallow study today so we could get some answers as to why he is screaming during meals, and why we can hear his breathing after he eats/drinks.

The good news is that since his first (and only) swallow study last July, his swallow has actually improved. We even got the go-ahead to go to thin liquids. Like plain water and plain milk. Whoa! (Side note: He did not like the taste of the grape-flavored barium (imagine that), so he screamed bloody murder. The tech said that she did see signs of aspiration when he was upset and crying, but not when he was calm. So as long as he is not upset, we can give him some thin liquids to try.)

But the bad news is that we still have no answers as to why he has been screaming during meals. He has his first GI appointment on March 8, so hopefully we will get some answer then.

That's only three days after Andrew has his tonsils and adenoids removed, so it will be crazy times around here. Especially since starting next week I will be having weekly OB appointments.

Speaking of the OB, my pregnancy is still going well. I am 34 weeks and 2 days today. My scheduled C-section is four weeks and three days away. I am pretty much ready, but not really. You moms know what I mean.

So that is what is going on health-wise in the Amick household.

For the hilarious, here is a funny Andrew story for you.

Today at my mom's while I was at the hospital with Benjamin, Andrew saw the front of a gossip magazine, where he spied a scowling Angelina Jolie. Here was the ensuing conversation between my mom and Andrew:

Andrew: Namma, is this a bad guy?

Mom: No, maybe she's just mad. Maybe she's just hungry.

Andrew: No. That's not it. I know why she's mad. She had to poo-poo, and somebody didn't know it was her turn. So they sat down first. And she was mad because it was her turn, and she had to poo-poo.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad things are improving. I love the Andrew story, I would have to say that sounds pretty accurate Andrew. Except I am not even sure she eats?

Todd and Courtney said...

Andrew is hilarious! If you need help with watching the boys, let me know. You are going to be busy soon :) Lauren's swallow study was such a let down but good at the same time. I'm glad someone saw how bad meal times are though. We have to see a speech therapist Monday, March 8 and they will evaluate her feedings too, ick!

Sarah said...

That's a winning story. That kid. He's a funny fellow.

Laura said...

Very funny Andrew story!!!

Hope everyone feels better soon!

Heather said...

You know, he might be right.

Kellye said...

Thank you for posting that funny story!!!! I needed that more than you know today!

heidi marie said...

that is wonderful news about benjamin being ready for thin liquids!

and hopefully all goes well with the gi visit and it's something simple!

JILL said...

This kid knows celebrities!